Curriculum Development Specialist — Timeless Tales 2.0
The Imagination Station, Inc. — DBA Istation — is based in Dallas, Texas. Istation is a leading developer and publisher of educational software for pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade students and educators. Istation’s interactive Internet- and Web-based programs include computer-adaptive assessments and intervention programs in the areas of reading, math, Spanish, and interdisciplinary studies that are currently being used in forty states and seven countries.
Istation is a proven industry leader and still-growing company with a long-term commitment to elevating the standards of U.S. education. We offer a creative, casual work environment and a corporate culture that encourages individuality and innovation.
This is a fast-paced work environment that continues to evolve as our business matures. We are building an agile, customer-centric team that values thoughtfulness, creativity, and teamwork to solve problems and continually improve processes that drive strong adoptions and subsequent renewal of Istation’s ever-growing product lines.
Istation is also an equal opportunity employer that complies with applicable federal, state, and local laws prohibiting discrimination against qualified applicants and employees based on race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, ethnicity, lineage or citizenship, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability if otherwise qualified, or other legally protected characteristics.
Details of position:
- Dallas-based corporate office
- full-time (forty-hour work week generally, with the possibility of a few different work schedules due to product release or updates deadlines)
- base salary
- reports to a curriculum manager
- background and reference check
- group health plan and company-wide options
- 401(k) with company match
Istation is an educational software developer and publisher of Istation Reading, an Internet-based, interactive K–12 reading instruction and intervention program. Istation is currently looking for innovative and outgoing individuals to fill the position of curriculum development specialist for Timeless Tales 2.0.
Timeless Tales 2.0 is the next generation in reading intervention for middle school students. It integrates research-backed pedagogy with video game mechanics to develop critical thinking skills, including skills and concepts essential for thoughtful text analysis. The game narrative of Timeless Tales 2.0 follows the archetypal hero’s journey. As the hero characters, student players explore a digital world where knowledge is disappearing, data is mysteriously corrupted, and the power of storytelling to either divide or unify humanity has been all but forgotten.
The curriculum development specialist must have strong instructional design skills. He or she will work within the curriculum department to generate flowcharts, overview documents, and curriculum scripts for production within our interactive, computer-based program. He or she may also generate engaging fiction and nonfiction texts and compile research and define teacher-directed lessons for struggling readers. Experience with adolescent literacy intervention and teaching content in the areas of reading, language arts, history, science, and/or humanities is a plus. Experience working with at-risk youth, English language learners, and/or students at the middle- to high-school levels is desired.
The curriculum development specialist should be able to collaborate well with a fast-paced, interdepartmental team to define and create interactive games, activities, and lessons. He or she will be required to communicate with various members of the Istation team to generate ideas, research available content, write, edit, and work with the production team to ensure the highest quality product and an engaging user experience. The ability to translate design plans and outlines into deliverable scripts is essential. Careful attention to detail will be required at all stages. Familiarity with ELAR standards at the middle- and high-school levels is required.
For more specific information about the position, please contact Natalie Masters at email@example.com.
- bachelor’s degree or higher in related field
- expertise in writing fiction and nonfiction texts for a young audience
- ability to think outside the box and explore new ways of adapting content to teach reading and interdisciplinary academic concepts
- strong organizational skills with proven ability to handle multiple tasks or projects
- strong interpersonal and communication skills
- enthusiasm for working with a creative and diverse team
- ability to work in Microsoft Excel and Word
- two to five years teaching experience
- strong creative writing skills
- strong Internet research skills
- instructional design experience
Other Skills and Qualifications
- ability to work independently with limited supervision
- ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously while remaining attentive to detail and quality
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- ability to work with a diverse group of people and navigate complex relationships
- solid analytical/cognitive and problem-solving skills
- proven project-management skills
- enthusiasm for progressive educational technology
- ability to learn and effectively use development support tools
- professional demeanor and appearance
- excellent interpersonal skills, including politeness and patience
- strong information-management skills
- high energy level
- superior organizing and planning skills
- ability to take initiative and meet deadlines
- ability to be proactive, punctual, and reliable
- strong work ethic and time-management skills
- ability to be flexible and tolerate stress
- ability to work nights and weekends on occasion in order to meet deadlines